AR-Land Comm: [Breaking] Bryant Behind greedymontydavenport.com ?

That certainly looks to be the case.

Back when we first mentioned greedymontydavenport.com, I wrote:

While I am reasonably sure that this fellow (?) isn’t really a 16th century Englishman plotting to blow up the Houses of Parliament, I think the whole “just private citizens” is on the up-and-up based on a little extra digging that I did.  If so, I actually kind of admire the effort.

The “little extra digging” I mentioned was some behind-the-scenes IP tracking of the email I received from greedymontydavenport.com, which showed that the email had originated from Fidelity Information Services, Inc., here in Little Rock.  I had no real reason to suspect a connection between Bryant’s campaign and any particular person at Fidelity, so I naively (in retrospect) took everyone at their word on the matter.

Now, via commenter joe mings, we learn that I may have been duped:

I don’t know what digging you did to find out who they were when you decided they were just regular citizens but the guy that runs it is working for Bryant. I’m not sure what sort of mail archiving they have turned on but all the received e-mail is stored in the uploads folder under the website. If you know how to look at the site in a folder structure, it’s easy enough to find. They’re not even encrypting it. Even if you can’t figure out how to look at the folder structure, if you know the e-mail address of someone that’s sent an e-mail to those bozos you can find it without even trying. You just have to replace the @ in the e-mail address with an _ and then just add a _X. They’re all in unencrypted text files. For instance, just paste http://www.greedymontydavenport.com/uploads/lj_ljbryant.com_1.txt and keep changing the number and you’ll see everything he’s sent. What a buch of morons. If that’s the group claiming to want to bring technical modernization to Arkansas and that’s the best they can do for security, I’m scared for the future.

True enough.  Now, we may be a lot of things at BHR, but one thing we are not is a mindless shill for the campaign of any candidate who we might endorse.  Like I said in this post:

BHR may be unabashed in our biases for or against certain candidates, but we still shoot for intellectual honesty, and we will absolutely admit when we are wrong about something.

To that end, after the jump, I present the rather damning emails.  Before I do, however, I should mention that BHR still backs Bryant in this race, and we are still convinced that he is the better candidate between the two.  These emails in no way change the myriad things wrong with Davenport, almost all of which are far more grave than pretending to know nothing about a site that you had some measure of control over.

First, from email number 5 (and containing emails 1 through 4 from the bottom up):

Subject: RE: test
    Date: Sun, April 11, 2010 12:46 am
    To: <greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com>

Let me think about the endorsement.

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: RE: test
    Date: Sun, April 11, 2010 12:36 am
    To: LJ Bryant

Like either Berg or Davenport know how to turn on a
    computer or what the Internet is.  If anyone asks I'll
     just tell people that I'm a "group of registered voters".
    I'll wait to put your endorsement up on the website too.
    Make it look like we thought long and hard before endorsing you.
    Relax and don't worry about it.

Thanks,

Steve

Subject: RE: test
    Date: Sun, April 11, 2010 12:31 am
    To: <greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com>

I just don’t want to get busted for this website.
    Make sure you’re careful.  Maybe we should implicate Berg
     as masterminding the site.

[mailto:greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com]
    Sent: Sun, April 11, 2010 12:16 am
    Subject: RE: test

I promise you it's going to help.  Trust me.

Subject: RE: test
    Date: Sun, April 11, 2010 12:13 am
    To: <greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com>

You need to correct the spelling on the “Arkansans
    Against Greedy Monty Davenport” tag.  Other than
    that it looks fine.  Keep me up to date on the number
    of hits.  I hope this help.  I really really want to win
    this election.  I appreciate your efforts.

[mailto:greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com]
    Sent: Sat, April 10, 2010 9:53 am
    Subject: RE: test

Finished.   www.greedymontydavenport.com.
    I started the hit counter at 4500 so it would look
    like more folks have hit the site than really have.
    Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Steve

Subject: RE: test
    Date: Thu, April 08, 2010 11:49 pm

Great.  Thanks.

[mailto:greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com]
    Sent: Thu, April 08, 2010 11:37 pm
    Subject: RE: test

Give me a few days and I'll have it setup.  Then we can
    post a comment on the Arkansas Times blog and get
    the word out.

Thanks,

Steve

Subject: RE: test
    Date: Thu, April 08, 2010 9:34 pm
    To: <greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com>

Received loud and clear.  When will you have the website ready?

[mailto:greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com]
    Sent: Thu, April 08, 2010 2:42 pm
    To: lj@ljbryant.com
    Subject: test

testing testing 123

Second, email number 7 (containing number 6 as well):

Subject: RE:
    Date: Mon, April 19, 2010 10:19 pm

Okay.  Thaks.

Subject: RE:
    Date: Mon, April 19, 2010 10:12 pm
    To: LJ Bryant

We're starting to see a few hits.  Give it time.

Subject:
    Date: Mon, April 19, 2010 10:10 pm
    To: <greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com>

The post cards were sent out and I had someone post
     to the Arkansas Times blog.  Has the hit count started
    going up any?

Text 'bryant' to 313131 for updates
    Mail: Bryant for Land Commissioner
    405 SW Drive Suite A #137
    Jonesboro, Arkansas 72401 or
    PO BOX 1161
    Newport, Arkansas 72112
    For more information or to make a secure contribution
    online please visit:

Contribute
    Phone: 870-376-4458 Democratic Primary: May 18, 2010 Maximum contributions $2,000 per election cycle for person and corporation. $50 of political contributions can be tax deductible for Arkansas income tax purposes. Paid for by Bryant for Land Commissioner. ___________ L. J. Bryant has the experience and preparedness to become Arkansas’ next State Land Commissioner. Bryant is a real estate licensee, small business owner, farm owner, and community activist. "Property taxes are a vital source of revenue for our schools and local governments. The Land Commissioner's office works very hard to restore tax delinquent land to tax-paying status and manage state lands." L.J. Bryant Bryant has a plan to improve the efficiency of the State Land Commissioners office by utilizing the latest technology to market tax delinquent land for auction as well as manage state lands. Bryant will use his legislative experience to work with the legislature to accomplish these goals. Bryant is committed to total transparency for all Land Commission transactions, agreeing to retain a quality web site with daily updating. No employee of the State Land Commission Office will be allowed to accept any gift from any lobbyist—ever! Bryant previously served as Legislative Liaison to the President of the State Senate. He owns Jackson Hewitt Tax Service in Jonesboro and is a Hendrix College graduate.

Emails 8 and 9:

Subject: RE: [FWD: arkansas democrat gazette questions]
    Date: Wed, April 28, 2010 10:49 pm
    To: <greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com>

Okay, but wait a few days.  Maybe if you wait he’ll think
    it’s someone who just threw up the site and hardly ever
    checks the e-mail.  Or maybe he’ll already have the story
    finished and won’t push for more details.

[mailto:greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com]
    Sent: Wed, April 28, 2010 10:43 pm
    Subject: RE: [FWD: arkansas democrat gazette questions]

Hell no he doesn't suspect you.  If he did, he wouldn't b
    e sending an e-mail to me.  How about I send this:

Well Mike, I'm glad you asked...We are a group of registered
    frequent voters who are sick and tired of greedy politicians
    like Davenport.  We want someone who isn't going to just take
    our tax dollars and run.  We want officials who are responsible
    and don't see their offices as a way to make a buck or get perks
    on our dime.  We're not affiliated with any campaigns or elected
    officials and this website is meant to make our opinion about
    Davenport known.  Hopefully we can get the word out about this
    greedy SOB and send him packing.  As for what we've spent on
    this website, it cost us $108.22 and it's worth every penny if
    Davenport loses.

What do you think?  If he asks for more detail I'll just make up
    some alias and say I'm a stock broker or lawyer or something.

Subject: RE: [FWD: arkansas democrat gazette questions]
    Date: Wed, April 28, 2010 10:15 pm
    To: <greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com>

Oh crap!  I don’t know.  Do you think he suspects me?

[mailto:greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com]
    Sent: Wed, April 28, 2010 9:23 am
    To: LJ Bryant
    Subject: [FWD: arkansas democrat gazette questions]

Looks like we've got the paper sniffing around.
    How do you think I should handle it?

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: arkansas democrat gazette questions
    From: Mike Wickline <mwickline@arkansasonline.com>
    Date: Wed, April 28, 2010 8:13 am
    To: greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com

1. Who is responsible for this web site?

2. Do you have any connections to any of
    the campaigns for land commissioner, a
    political party or an elected official?
    If so. whom?

3. How much has been spent on the web site?

Note that my e-mail has changed
    to: mwickline@arkansasonline.com

Number 10 (re: number 8):

Subject: RE: [FWD: RE: arkansas democrat gazette questions]
    Date: Tue, May 04, 2010 6:24 am
    To: <greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com>

Just please be careful.  I don’t want anyone to know
    I’m affiliated with this website.

[mailto:greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com]
    Sent: Mon, May 03, 2010 12:47 pm
    Subject: [FWD: RE: arkansas democrat gazette
    questions]

FYI, here's my exchange with Wickline.  I haven't heard
    anything after him asking me about where I live and what
    I do for a living.  I guess he got bored.  Oh well.  I wonder
    if he knows who Guy Fawkes is.  If he asks for more detail
    about me, I'll tell him my wife's name is Megan.  LOL

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: RE: arkansas democrat gazette questions
    Date: Mon, May 03, 2010 11:35 am
    To: "Mike Wickline" <mwickline@arkansasonline.com>

I live in Cabot but I'm attorney with a firm
    in Little Rock.

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Re: arkansas democrat gazette questions
    From: Mike Wickline <mwickline@arkansasonline.com>
    Date: Mon, May 03, 2010 10:09 am
    To: greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com

where you live and what do for a living?

On May 3, 2010, at 10:56 AM,
    greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com wrote:

>  Sure.  I'm Guy Fawkes.  Though there are 13 of us that talked about
    > doing the website before I finally decided to put it up.
    >> -------- Original Message --------
    >> Subject: Re: arkansas democrat gazette questions
    >> From: Mike Wickline <mwickline@arkansasonline.com>
    >> Date: Mon, May 03, 2010 9:41 am
    >> To: greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com
    >> u have a name?
    >> On May 3, 2010, at 10:44 AM, greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com
    >> wrote:
    >> > Well Mike, I'm glad you asked...We are a group
    >> of registered frequent
    >> > voters who are sick and tired of greedy politicians
    like Davenport.
    >> > We want someone who isn't going to just take our
    tax dollars and run.
    >> > We want officials who are responsible and
    don't see their offices
    >> as a way to make a buck or get perks on our dime.
    We're not affiliated
    >> > with any campaigns or elected officials and this
    website is meant to
    >> > make our opinion about Davenport known.  Hopefully
    we can get the word
    >> > out about this greedy SOB and send him packing.
    As for what we've
    >> > spent on this website, it cost us $108.22 and it's
    worth every penny
    >> > if Davenport loses.
    >> >
    >> >> -------- Original Message --------
    >> >> Subject: arkansas democrat gazette questions
    >> >> From: Mike Wickline
    <mwickline@arkansasonline.com>
    >> >> Date: Wed, April 28, 2010 8:13 am
    >> >> To: greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com
    >> >>
    >> >> 1. Who is responsible for this web site?
    >> >>
    >> >> 2. Do you have any connections to any of
    the campaigns for land
    >> >> commissioner, a political party or an elected
    official?
    >> >> If so. whom?
    >> >>
    >> >> 3. How much has been spent on the web site?
    >> >>
    >> >> Note that my e-mail has changed to:
    mwickline@arkansasonline.com
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> Note that my e-mail has changed to:
    mwickline@arkansasonline.com
    Note that my e-mail has changed to: mwickline@arkansasonline.com

Number 12 (containing number 11), in which the website’s owner laughs about BHR buying his story:

Subject: RE: [FWD: Site]
    From: LJ Bryant
    Date: Fri, May 7, 2010 5:34 am
    To:

Okay…leave it up.

[mailto:greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com]
    Sent: Thu, May 06, 2010 8:19 pm
    Subject: RE: [FWD: Site]

The website it obviously anti-davenport so it makes
    sense to endorse someone else.  It's either you or Berg.

Subject: RE: [FWD: Site]
    Date: Thu, May 06, 2010 8:11 pm
    To: <greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com>

Do you think you should have done that?
    Won’t it look suspicious?

[mailto:greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com]
    Sent: Thu, May 06, 2010 5:28 pm
    Subject: [FWD: Site]

Looks like the paper isn't the only one that's digging for
    information.  I gave him the same song and dance as Wickline
    and he seems to have bought it.  He even claims to have done
    some further digging on his website and decided I'm a
    legitimate group.  HA!  And you were worried.
    BTW, I went ahead and endorsed you on the site.

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Site
    From: Matt <matt@bluehogreport.com>
    Date: Thu, May 06, 2010 11:17 am
    To: greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com

Hi, I am the chief admin for bluehogreport.com.
    Someone pointed me in the direction of your site today,
    and I am going to do a story on Davenport's expenses, etc.
    (BHR is backing L.J. Bryant in the Land Comm race.)  I was
    just wondering who is behind the greedymontydavenport.com
    site?

Thanks,
    Matt

Number 13 and 14:

Subject: RE: And the hate mail starts
    From: LJ Bryant
    Date: Sun, May 09, 2010 10:55 pm
    To:

I just really want to win this election and I’ve spent a lot
    of money that I don’t want to see flushed down the tubes.

[mailto:greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com]
    Sent: Sun, May 09, 2010 11:11 am
    Subject: RE: And the hate mail starts

Yeah, yeah.  I know.  You worry to much.

Subject: RE: And the hate mail starts
    From: LJ Bryant
    Date: Sat, May 08, 2010 9:00 pm
    To:

Thanks.  Please make sure that you don’t tip them
    off that we’re affiliated.

Subject: RE: And the hate mail starts
    Date: Sat, May 08, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks.  Please make sure that you don’t tip them
    off that we’re affiliated.

[mailto:greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com]
    Sent: Sat, May 08, 2010 12:51 pm
    To: LJ Bryant
    Subject: And the hate mail starts

Man we aren't popular with Monty's friends:

Per Diem, Milage and Expenses have to do with travel.
    Monty Davenport lives farther than most in the legislature,
    and that is why he has to travel so far and his expenses
    are as great as they are.  I'm no fan of Monty Davenport
    but you sure have turned me off with all your "Anti-Davenport"
    advertising.

Negative advertising makes us all wonder if you don't have
    anything positive to say about yourself.   Probably not.

Jim Smith
    Flippin Arkansas

And:

The slanderous piece of s#!t is just that - - -
    drop dead twice and put this where the sun
    doesn't shine - - - can you stoop any lower?????

Tom Welch

And number 15, in which Bryant checks back in before the election to see if things are still going to plan:

Subject: Hits
    Date: Sun, May 16, 2010 10:36 pm
    To: <greedymonty@greedymontydavenport.com>

I haven’t heard from you in a few days.  Are
    the hits still going up?  The election is only a
    couple of days away.

UPDATE: The more I think about this, the stranger it becomes.  I mean, assuming these are legit, had Bryant been forthcoming about his role in the website’s creation, it would have been scarcely different from Blanche Lincoln’s greedybillhalter.com site.  Sure, that might have turned some people off, but I have to imagine it was a less-risky maneuver than hoping no one would find out the truth.